Friday, June 24, 2011

Home on the range.

Things I've seen in Wyoming.

More than 1 hail storm. I've decided a hail storm looks like the sky is raining white skittles and grapes. But these are evil skittles and grapes that ruin your car.

For some reason people like to pass through Gillette while biking across the country. Two people have stopped by the coffee shop who are pedaling quite a journey. One of these bikers stopped by on his way to Oregon. One week later I see the same guy biking up a mountain. No joke. Small world.

If the great state of Georgia finds out I'm saying this I may not be allowed back in. Regardless the Big Horn Mountains make the mountains back in Ga look like ant hills. If evidence is needed I'll have to find a picture. I do have a picture of something beautiful found within the mountains here. Boom. (also I didn't take this picture. Photo credit to Steve Remich)


Ironically I've seen a lot of snow this summer. If I were to combine all the snow I've seen in my 23 years it wouldn't come close to reaching how much snow I've seen in Wyoming in the past month. It's best to sleep with two pairs of socks when camping in the mountains where snow can still be found. And that it's really unfortunate when your only pair of socks get wet. It happened and it wasn't pleasant.

Bears are a real threat in the mountains. People kept warning me about the dangers of bears before I went to Yellowstone. However it wasn't until I was in my tent trying to fall asleep that it hit me that if a bear were to come it'd be game over. I had a dream about a bear that night and I really hope it was just a dream. For the record I saw a grizzly bear and two cubs the next morning, but it was from a healthy distance.

1 comment:

  1. Do you know where the bikers started out from? Regardless, that is a ridiculous distance!

    Yeah, the Applachian Mountains are pretty short and subtle comparatively:) At least they are really old and we can climb to the top of them!

    ReplyDelete